www.Headless Moron.com
                    A Seriously Froody Website

Maelstrom cheat/editing

Author: droctopus
Date: Thu 09/07/2009 11:29 PM

Anyone have like a cheat code... or has anyone messed around with the programming of this game? I like Maelstrom a lot but I just can't stand the mandatory end game time frame. It doesn't give me enough time to do what'd like to.

I'd like to have lots of Fitz (game currency) at the start to build really nice fleets... basically to take over the galaxy... yea.

I'm basically learning to Hex edit because of this game but not even sure that will work. And most websites on the internet confuse this game with like 3 others with the same name. What a pain!

Replies: 7

Reply: 1

Date: Sun 12/07/2009 01:40 AM

Ok, I figured out how to make dragon ships super cheap 256 fils. If anyone is interested lemme know.

Reply: 2

Author: jawapro
Date: Mon 13/07/2009 01:30 PM

Absolutely!

My Maelstrom website is sort of screwed at the moment (as my whole website is having issues) so I haven't done anything there for ages.

If you can Hex edit - does that mean you can access the text used in the game? I've been working on recording the dialouge - but I've been doing it by hand.

Reply: 3

Date: Mon 13/07/2009 07:17 PM

I haven't messed around with the text too much. I can edit the research text and planet text to say what I want but as far as dialouges go it's all in hex prgramming language I think. I could check again but I think that would all have to be translated into english. To get the 256 fitz/funds dragon ship I'd have to be able to send you the equip.dat file that you'd put in your maelstrom file folder or I could send you a screen shot of where to hex edit it if you have a hex editor. I'm at work now so this is going to have to wait a bit.

For your email question, I got Maelstrom when I was 11 or 12, straight from Circuit City retail. Needless to say, I lost the game and I'm 27 now. I still liked this game and thought about it for o say, 14 years now. I also have another game I'm looking for but I've been busy with Maelstrom for the last three weeks.

I remember the layout and the game and even some tactics even though it had been 14 years ago... the game made an impression on me.

Reply: 4

Date: Mon 13/07/2009 07:35 PM

Btw, you can also make the dragon ships cost 2,000,000+

So basically you can buy 10 of them for 256 fitz, save game, exit out. Switch out one equip.dat file for the other equip.dat file and sell them for 2,000,000 fitz each. Then save game, switch back to 256 fitz ships and now your rich.

I've managed to have 3 fleets of 7 Dragon ships each running around but I'm still discovering stuff in the game. The hard part is getting military staff members for the ships and I've thought about looking out how to duplicate one that has all the capabilities.

Reply: 5

Author: jawapro
Date: Mon 13/07/2009 07:41 PM

Its been years since I last played this - but if you're out of people you can get a few extra by helping out either Hobbman or  Huygen (cant remember which). If you do a couple of insurge (I think they were called) missions there, they will offer to give you some of their people. I think they were political prisoners or something - but either way, it means you've got some more general staff.

I too ran out of crewers, so I ended up beefing my fleets up with Swarm Fighters - as they don't take extra crew.

Reply: 6

Date: Tue 14/07/2009 03:29 AM

www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=3FD126963

Here's the equip.dat file. Put it in your maelstrom folder.

remember to make a copy of the original for the old dragon prices.

Just put it in your folder and load game or start a new game.

Reply: 7

Author: omnimors
Date: Mon 14/12/2009 11:30 AM

Ok, this is awesome. 

You need to teach me how to edit these files.  Like Rob, I'm very interested in digging through the game.