www.Headless Moron.com
                    A Seriously Froody Website

Whoops

Author: jawapro
Date: Tue 10/04/2007 10:00 AM

I just killed the proxy server

Ok - so I´ve now officially screwed up at work once.

At least it wasnt anything too drastic.

I was building a test proxy server to replace the old Getbusi one that´s running out of hdd space because postgres isnt clearing the space when records are deleted (dont know why).

Anyway - I was restoring the Getbusi config file to my new server (currently named GetLazy) and apparently the config file also includes the IP address - and suddenly GetLazy decided it was the main proxy and wiped out the real one.

I yanked the network cable out of getlazy and scrambled around trying to work out which of our many servers was the getbusi one so I could reboot. Thankfully Linux is nice and managed to recover itself before I found it - and everything went smoothly.

Not even one phone call about not being able to access the net. Given another few minutes and I expect we´d have been flooded by them.

Ah well - could have been worse... much worse...

I could have killed the reservations system.... *Shudders*

Comments: 2

Comment: 1

Author: turkeybrain
Date: Tue 10/04/2007 08:07 PM

Its nice to know I´m not the only one tortured with getbusi! My goodness, that is one incredibly annoying program! But you just showed the world the virtues of Linux. Good on you! And if I were you, I would attempt to not kill the reservations computer. That could mean your job!

Comment: 2

Author: jawapro
Date: Tue 10/04/2007 11:00 PM

Indeed it could. Well - possibly anyway. Getbusi isnt so bad - but I´m on the administrator side of things - not the user trying to bypass it :)